DUE TO THE COVID19 OUTBREAK
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine has cancelled all electives to visiting students effective March 16, 2020.
Our Commitment to the health and safety of our community, faculty, staff, to our medical students, as well as visiting students is paramount.
In these uncertain times, the UMMSM agrees with the guidelines provided by the Coalition for Physician Accountability that the safety and well-being of our students is of utmost importance and therefore we have decided to not allow our students to go on externship rotations this academic year (AY2020-2021). Accordingly, in order to ensure that we have adequate space on clinical teams for our own students, we will not be accepting Visiting Students/Observers from other medical schools.
Some clinical department are in the process of creating virtual remote rotations that may be available to visiting medical students, if approved by the curriculum committees.
At this time Virtual Electives will be offered to visiting medical students from LCME Accredited Schools Only. You can apply through VSLO.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital provides clinical externships (electives) for students enrolled in medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). However, medical students at the UMMSOM are given first priority for all rotations. Non-UMMSOM students may participate in electives only if space is available. Only students who have completed all their third year clinical clerkships and are in good standing in their own medical schools will be accepted.
Students of international medical schools are not accepted for clinical externships. The UMMSOM has an established policy that we accept for fourth year electives on our clinical services only those students who are registered and are in good standing at LCME accredited medical schools.
Applications for electives from LCME accredited Medical Schools will only be accepted through VSAS. You will need to have a username and password, which is sent by VSAS once you are authorized by your school.
LCME medical schools are licensed and accredited medical schools in North America and Puerto Rico.
Students from non-LCME schools are accepted for clinical experiences at UMMSOM/JMH as OBSERVERS ONLY.
Observer only status means that the visiting student may not have any direct patient contact or be responsible for patient care. Students from international medical schools may observe on rounds, follow residents and attendings and may attend academic departmental conferences. NO GRADES, WRITTEN EVALUATIONS OR CERTIFICATES ATTESTING TO THE FACT THAT OBSERVER-ONLY STUDENTS HAVE ROTATED AT OUR TEACHING HOSPITALS WILL BE ISSUED.
The University of Miami School of Medicine permits a maximum visit of 12 weeks.
Visiting medical students wishing to take an elective at the UMMSOM should contact the appropriate individual from the list below. A completed application with the listed supporting documents should be sent to the department to which application is made.
Specific departments and divisions have specific requirements. Contact them directly for further information.
Important Documents and Links
- Medical Student Code of Conduct.
- Medical Student Code of Conduct – Affirmation.
- Mistreatment/Title IX/VAWA Information.
- Medical Student Mistreatment Policies – Affirmation.
- Applying for Away Electives with VSAS.
Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic we will not be scheduling visiting students until late in the summer and that is pending further review.
VSAS/VLSO New Timeline
- 6/26/2020 Browsing catalog begins
- 6/29/2020 Submitting Applications begins
- 7/1/2020 Scheduling begins
Based on the Pandemic, we are only scheduling Virtual Electives at this time
PLEASE NOTE: Updates will be made based on when students can return to the hospital environment.
List of Requirements
- All uploaded documents must be assigned to our institution.
- Proof of a Level 1 Background Report, must be valid within the last 12 months. Upload to “Supplemental Documents”. You may use https://miamimiller.applicantcompliance.com.
- An official transcript indicating successful completion of core clinical clerkships.
- BLS and OSHA requirements must be valid for the entire period of your elective rotation. ACLS is a requirement for Emergency Medicine. For all other specialties a valid BLS or ACLS is acceptable.
- Your school must certify you are HIPPA compliant.
- Proof of negative 10 PANEL Drug Test (Dated within 1 year of start date).
- Proof of Liability Insurance covering the time during requested elective rotation. If your school does not have $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate limits, you will have to purchase supplemental insurance, once you have been accepted for the rotation.
- Proof of passing Step I USMLE – For Anesthesia, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Orthopedics, PM&R and Radiology. Please upload score into “Supplemental Documents.”
- For Emergency Medicine & Orthopedics please write a brief Memo indicating that you are applying for either an Emergency Medicine, Orthopedic Residency and PM & R. Upload to “Supplemental Documents.”
- If you are applying for any Radiology elective, you MUST have completed Radiology 1 at your institution.
- Read the UMMSM MISTREATMENT POLICIES and upload a signed Affirmation form into “Supplemental Documents.”
- Read the UMMSM Code of Conduct and Upload the signed Affirmation form into “Supplemental Documents.”
Occupational Health Issues
NOT APPLICABLE for Academic Year 2020-2021 due to current rotations offered to students are Virtual Elective only.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSTAIN A NEEDLESTICK INJURY??
Proceed as follows:
- CALL THE NEEDLESTICK AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER immediately: 305-299-4684 . This number MUST BE CALLED ANY TIME a medical student experiences a needlestick or occupational exposure.
- Do NOT PANIC!
- Follow directions given to you by your faculty/preceptors/nurses/managers. You may be asked to complete important paperwork for risk management offices/incident reports, etc…but STILL CALL THE NUMBER above.
Regardless of your clinical location: (at JMH, at UMH, at a community preceptor, at a health fair, etc) CALL THIS NUMBER even if your preceptor or doctor/attending is also instructing you to complete other paperwork.
Needlestick and Occupational Exposure 305-299-4684; 24hrs/day; 7 days/wk
UM Environmental Health & Safety Office
(PPDs, Respiratory Masks, Needlestick or Occupational Exposure)
1400 NW 10 Ave.
Miami, Fl 33136
Mon-Fri 9am – 4pm
Office of Student Services
RMSB Room 2155