Student Rights and Responsibilities
Students have the right to:
- Be considered on a non-discriminatory basis for financial assistance from programs for which they are eligible;
- Access to their financial assistance file (the information in that file and the amount of financial assistance awarded is confidential and may not be released by the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine without a student’s authorization);
- Request review of their financial assistance eligibility;
- Request information on how their financial assistance eligibility was determined;
- Accept or decline all or any portion of their financial assistance award; however, reduction of one portion will not necessarily be a basis for increase in another type of financial assistance, and
- Reapply for financial assistance each year; financial assistance is awarded on an annual basis and may vary to reflect changes in financial need, eligibility, available funding or academic progress.
Students are responsible for:
- Knowing and adhering to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s policy on academic progress;
- Obtaining an official assignment from the Office of Financial Assistance Services before they may work under the Federal Work Study Program;
- Understanding the conditions and repayment terms of any loans they receive, and
- Notifying the Office of Financial Assistance Services if they receive additional loans, scholarships, grants or work, since this information may result in a revised financial assistance award.