Applying for Aid
General Eligibility Requirements
To receive financial assistance from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, a student must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Have a valid Social Security Number.
- Be enrolled, or accepted for enrollment, at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
- Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
- Be registered with the Selective Service if required to do so by Federal Law.
- Not owe repayment of a Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) or a state grant at any institution.
- Not be in default or delinquent on any Perkins Loan, Stafford/SLS or PLUS Loan at any institution.
- Not have borrowed in excess of the limits for the Perkins or Stafford/SLS programs.
- Not have been convicted as an adult of possessing or selling illegal drugs.
It is recommended that you obtain a copy of your credit report as part of the financial assistance process. To avoid loan processing delays due to a negative credit history, it is important that you review the information on your report for accuracy and resolve any discrepancies before submitting your loan application(s).
To request a FREE credit report contact www.annualcreditreport.com
Steps for Applying for Aid
The following checklist should help guide you through the process of applying for financial assistance. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us!
- File a completed FAFSA with the Department of Education (UMMSM Code E00533).
- Complete the application for need/diversity scholarships and grants (if desired).
- Complete the Stafford and GradPlus Loan Program Master Promissory Notes.
- Complete the Entrance Counseling (if a first time borrower at the University of Miami).
- Indicate amount requested in CaneLink.