Research & Professional Development
Outside the Curriculum: Clinical Experiences/Research Opportunities for UMMSM Med Students
We provide varied opportunities based on student interests:
- Placement in biomedical research labs on UMMSM campus with faculty mentors.
- Placement with clinical research mentors on UMMSM campus with faculty mentors.
- Information on biomedical research programs (short term, summer, full year off) throughout the state of Florida, or at other institution across the United States.
- Information on International research/medical programs.
- Exposure to opportunities for research or biomedical symposia, conferences, meetings, grand rounds, workshops, etc. at UMMSM and elsewhere in the United States.
- Similar offerings in ‘UBrowse with Biederman’ column.
- Short on time? How about shadowing? Faculty mentors provided. ‘Brainstorm with Biederman’ sessions always available.
Research and Professional Development
Funding opportunities for medical students interested in pursuing research and/or other professional activities remains somewhat limited.
Many students are successful in applying to and obtaining positions in UMMSM research labs that may have independent sources of revenue that can fund student work. This varies by opportunity.
Other students are able to secure positions in extramural activities that are also funded. Students are also encouraged, if interested in full-year-off activities, to apply to the well-funded programs such as the HHMI, NIH.
Individual departments at UMMSM may have grants that have a student component for small stipends, but students most often are on a volunteer basis in their research settings.
Year Off Research
· Year Off Research and Programs, with student panel, 10.30.18, Video
· Paul Farmer Global Surgery Fellowship, Student Panel on Year Off Research, 11.07.17 Video
· UMMSM Student Panel on Year Off Research, 10.18.16 Video
· UMMSM Student Panel on Year Off Research, 10.23.15 Video
· Sarnoff, NIH MRSP Programs, 10.23.17 Video with Slides
· MPH, Global Surgery and Social Change, Fulbright Programs 10.26.16 Video with Slides
· What Are You Doing This Summer? Freshmen workshop, 1.14.2019
· What Are You Doing This Summer? Freshmen workshop, 1.14.2019 PPT Slides
· What Are You Doing This Summer? Freshmen workshop, 1.29.2018
· What Are You Doing This Summer? Freshmen workshop, 1.29.2018 PPT Slides
· Workshop: How To Write a Great CV, 3.18.19 Presentation
· Workshop: How To Write a Great CV, 3.18.19 PPT Slides
· Workshop: How To Write a Great CV and Cane Academy Intro, 3.6.18 Presentation
· Workshop: How To Write a Great CV and Cane Academy Intro, 3.6.18 PPT Slides
· Cane Academy Intro, 3.6.18 Presentation
· Cane Academy Intro, 3.6.18 Video